DERBY CITY GUIDE
Normanton in Derby

Normanton - Information and services


Normanton

Normanton consists essentially of 2 parts, Old Normanton, built up around the Village street area of Derby and New Normantion which starts at the junction of Babbington lane, Burton Road and Normanton Road and continuing down Normanton road, along Upperdale road to the Cavendish.

There has been a settlement at the old part for over a 1000 years and Normanton was mentioned in the Domesday Book. It has had a complex history of individuals and families who in their turn owned what was mainly agricultural land. Today little remains of that history as the village was simply engulfed with the march of progress. The biggest change was the growth of the population. Its population in 1871 was 638. Within 10 years it had swelled to 3854. and farmland and ancient cottages and houses disappeared rapidly under the growing need for housing as Derby developed its industrial base.

The Peartree and Normanton railway station opened in 1890. Normanton Barracks at the top end of Sinfin Lane, was built to house the 95th Derbyshire Regiment. It closed in 1963 and was demolished in 1982, later to be replaced by Forester Park, with its new super markets, bowling alley, Showcase cinema, fast food outlets and the Oast House Hotel.

In 1878 Derby Corporation has began to take in parts of Normanton and by 1928 it had become part of the borough of Derby. After the death of Derby grocer Giles Austin in 1929, Derby Corporation acquired his lands and built the Austin Estate strtching down Sunny Hill. Normanton Old House and Homelands House became part of a girls grammer school, built in 1937 and known originally as Homelands school, later becoming the Village Community School. It is due for closure in 2001. Normanton recreation ground was opened in 1909 and continues to this day to provide sporting and leisure facilities for all.

Warwick Avenue was constructed in the 1920's followed by Kenilworth Avenue in the 1930's both forming part of the Derby Ring Road. Housing along these stretches developed rapidly, with side roads going down to the old village.

St Gile's Church dates from 1862, built on the site of a much older structure. It had to be extended in 1893 and again in 1902-03, when a new nave and chancel were added to make the building it's present size.

Several pubs serve this part of Normanton including the Norman Arms and the Sherwood Forester Hotel in St Thomas Road.

New Normanton began life in the 19th century and was almost exclusively artisan and 'petit bourgeois' in those days. It deteriorated somewhat after the second world war but a program of regeneration in the 1990's has done much to improve the area. If you are looking for stores selling Asian and other multi cultural goods try the Normanton part of Derby where there is a vast array of ethnic foods and goods on offer as well as a mulitude of ethnic restaurants.

Modern Normanton has a high ethnic minority population, with the largest concentration of Derby's Asian community. Areas such as Normanton Road (the main thoroughfare leading to the centre of Derby) have numerous Asian shops, businesses and fast food outlets.

A prominent local landmark was once the Normanton Barracks, headquarters of the Sherwood Foresters regiment. Demolished in 1981, the site is now the Foresters Leisure Park, including the Showcase cinema. Nearby is the Oast House pub, a notable modern building which is, as the name suggests, in the style of a traditional English oast house. Reflecting Normanton's religious diversity are a wide number of places of worship, with the Guru Arjan Dev Gurdwara in Stanhope Street being a particularly striking example.

The area's main public recreational facility is Normanton Park, opened in 1909. The Derbyshire Tennis Centre is adjacent to the park.

Please visit Derby Photographs for photos of Normanton

Local services in Normanton

Normanton Doctors Surgeries
Dr Horden & Partners The Surgery,233 Village St Derby DE23 8DD Tel. 01332 766762

Dr A J Piracha Derby Lane Medical Centre,30 Derby La Derby DE23 8UA Tel. 01332 773243

Dr M Iqbal The Surgery,63-65 Clarence Rd Derby DE23 6LR Tel. 01332 768912 Dr M Hale Doctors Surgery,53 Harrington St Pear Tree Derby DE23 8PF Tel. 01332 271212

Dr D N P Singh 159 Pear Tree Rd Derby DE23 8NQ Tel. 01332 360692

S K Sen Dale Medical Centre,30 Lower Dale Rd Derby DE23 6WY Tel. 01332 346226

Normanton Opticians

Dispensing Chemists
Village Street Pharmacy Ltd 217 Village St Derby DE23 8DD Tel. 01332 273515

Scholes Chemist 24-26 Stenson Rd Derby DE23 1JB Tel. 01332 760458

Scholes Chemist 225 St Thomas Rd Derby DE23 8RJ Tel. 01332 766786

Scholes Chemist 68 Clarence Rd Derby DE23 6LQ Tel. 01332 775705

Scholes Chemist 56 St Thomas Rd Derby DE23 8SU Tel. 01332 345906

Scholes Pharmacy 147 Pear Tree Rd Derby DE23 6QF Tel. 01332 345047

B J Wilson Ltd 430 Stenson Rd Derby DE23 1LH Tel. 01332 767342

Normanton Dentists
Cavendish Dental Practice 13-15 Derby La Derby DE23 8UB Tel. 01332 764997

St Thomas Family Dental Centre Dental Surgery,204 St. Thomas Rd Derby DE23 8SY Tel. 01332 271321

S O'Donovan 130 Whitaker Rd Derby DE23 6AP Tel. 01332 381568

Blagreaves 168 Blagreaves La Littleover Derby DE23 1PX Tel. 01332 773838

M Osman 415 Burton Rd Derby DE23 6AN Tel. 01332 366596

Apollonia Orthodontic Practice 566A Burton Rd Derby DE23 6DG Tel. 01332 369679

Normanton Road Dental Practise 254 Normanton Rd Derby DE23 6WD Tel. 01332 344662

Mill Hill Dental Clinic 2 Mill Hill Rd Derby DE23 6SF Tel. 01332 364540

Return to The Derby Guide Homepage

Church of St Giles at Normanton  in Derby UK
St Giles at Normanton Church
Greyhound pub  at Normanton  in Derby UK
Greyhound pub

© Copyright 2011 Derby Guide : Disclaimer : Homepage

Allestree : Allenton : Alvaston : Borrowash : Chaddesden : Chellaston : Darley Abbey
Littleover : Mackworth : Mickleover: Normanton : Oakwood : Sinfin : Spondon : Derby parks
Peak District Holiday Guide : Derbyshire Peak Distict Holiday Cottages : Derbyshire Peak District B&B Guest Houses : Derbyshire Peak District Hotels