DERBY GUIDE
Guide to the City of Derby, Derbyshire, England

Discount Hotel Accommodation in Derby - Hotels in Derby

Derby Guide - Guide to the City of Derby in Derbyshire


St Peter's church in Derby

Mentioned in Domesday, St Peter's church, situated on the junction of East Street, St Peter's Street and St Peter's Churchyard, contains some norman work, the east wall of the nave and the responds of the arcades. The arcade piers are not much later. It was considerably rebuilt in the 14th century, with five - light windows of that date remaining in the south aisle, and others in the north aisle and west part of the chancel. As such, it is the only medieval church in Derby. Behind the church on St Peter's Churchyard is the old Derby Grammer School.

In 1898 the tower was dismantled and rebuilt further west to allow for a lengthening of the nave. Further extensions were constructed at the west end in 1972 to provide a 2-storey suite of parish rooms. Random features in the church interior include a mediaeval Flemish chest and the grave of Percy Willoughby, the first gynaecologist.

SUNDAY SERVICES: 10.45, 6.30

CONTACT: Tel: (01332) 360790

The following is taken from St Peter's church website which can be found along with a more detailed history at www.stpetersderby.org.uk

Some significant events in the church's history are:

1155 St Peter's belonged to Darley Abbey.

1349 'Black Death' in Derby. The vicar was one of sixty Derbyshire clergy (and one third of the population) who died.

1350 The church was rebuilt in a decorated style.

1509 The original high-pitched roof was lowered, the walls over the nave arcades raised and clerestory windows inserted. The chancel arch was widened and the east end was shortened by a bay and a new east window installed. The tower was rebuilt.

1530 Robert Liversage established a chapel for saying divine service. Every Friday 13 poor men and women were paid a silver penny for attending. People fought to be amongst the 13.

1556 Joan Waste, a blind ropemaker, refused to deny her faith and was burned at the stake at Windmill Pit near the Burton Road.

1586 The plague broke out starting in St. Peter's parish.

1667 - 81 Registers record the baptism of Shem, Ham and Japheth, sons of Noah the 'coiner' (or forger) who lived in an "ark" on the River Derwent.

1768 William Cowper is said to have written the hymn 'Hark my Soul it is the Lord' in the upper vestry.

1852 Chancel restored, the pews and large impropriator's gallery removed, plaster removed and old roof timbers exposed.

1859 Nave and aisles restored, extensive galleries removed.

1865 South porch removed, organ chamber made at the east end of the north aisle.

1898 West end of church and tower rebuilt.

1970 Present church hall added

Derby Churches : The Derby Guide Homepage

St Peter's church  in Derby UK
St Peter's Church

© Copyright 2011 Derby Guide : Disclaimer : Homepage

Peak District Holiday Guide : Derbyshire Peak Distict Holiday Cottages : Derbyshire Peak District B&B Guest Houses : Derbyshire Peak District Hotels

UK Holiday Guide : Lake District Guide : Scarborough Accommodation : Torquay Accommodation : Blackpool Accommodation